Roots and Wings
The goal of this workshop is to offer an opportunity for families to learn about hearing loss, network with others, explore ways to support their children’s development and learn about educational advocacy. Roots & Wings is founded on the following guiding principles:
- Respect the child who is deaf or hard of hearing as an individual whose unique nature, strengths and learning style are to be celebrated.
- Honor each family’s unique beliefs, traditions and strengths, as it is the family’s right to incorporate these values into their decisions for their child.
- Empower the family by providing unbiased and up-to-date information to support the promotion of optimal social, emotional, communicative and educational development in their child.
- Parents: The Language Partners
- Learning about My Child's Hearing
- Parent and Community Panel: Parents Learning from Others
This weekend is available to families at no cost. It is sponsored by:
- Boys Town National Research Hospital
- The Nebraska Department of Health and Human Services - Early Hearing Detection & Intervention Program
- Nebraska Department of Education Regional Programs for Students who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing
This workshop is offered to Nebraska families who have recently learned their child is deaf or hard of hearing. Childcare will be provided during parent sessions.
Registration deadline is Friday, December 20, 2019. Registration is limited to 15 families. Each family may bring two adults and up to three dependent children (birth to 12).
To learn more, please contact Lupe Medina at (531) 355-5017 or Guadalupe.Medina@boystown.org.